The Auburn Recreation team will feature music, movies and other summer entertainment for 2021.
“There really is something for everyone,” Recreation director Sabrina Best said in a press release. “Our team has done a great job planning and running programs and events for this summer that capture our traditional offerings while adding fun new ones. Our approach was based on balance and options.
The city invites residents to this year’s summer film series, which begins on Friday, June 11. The series, which runs through October, will feature seven popular films. Each will take place at a different location across town, and two will be drive-in style. The films will begin at nightfall, as soon as it is dark enough outside. They will be projected onto the city’s new 17-by-30-foot inflatable cinema screen.
Participants are encouraged to bring chairs or blankets and snacks to enjoy.
The programming of the films will include:
• Friday June 11 – “Grease” will be presented at Anniversary Park at 8:45 pm
• Friday July 16 – “Angels in the Outfield” at the Pettengill Softball Field at 8:45 pm
• Friday July 30 – “Mighty Ducks” will be broadcast by car in the parking lot of the Norway Savings Bank Arena at 8:45 pm
• Friday August 13 – “Aquaman” at Lake Grove Park (PG-13) at 8:45 p.m.
• Thursday September 16: “Tom and Jerry” in Chestnut Park (near PAL) between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.
• Saturday October 30: Drive-in at Great Falls Plaza (registration required) “Monsters, Inc.” at 6:00 p.m. and “Hocus Pocus” at 8:00 p.m.
In addition to the summer film series, the city is proud to present its new acoustic music series Anniversary Park, which will feature live music in Auburn’s Anniversary Park. The music series will begin on June 29 and feature the following local musicians:
• June 29 – The Mike & Brian Duo at 6 p.m.
• July 13 – The Smith Collaboration at 6 p.m.
• July 20 – Double Hear at 6 p.m.
• July 27 – Michael Krapovicky and microphone open at 6 p.m. Interested musicians should call Auburn Recreation for details at 333-6611.
Finally, a real summer favorite is back this year: the beloved Auburn Community Band! After canceling last year’s season, the band will be returning to Festival Plaza on Main Street every Wednesday night at 7 p.m. from July 7 through August 25. “The Community Band is such a special part of the summer in Auburn,” said Best. “We will be so happy when they return to the Place du Festival where they belong!”
For more information visit auburnmaine.gov.