60 STAR PANEL: Panelist Freddie Garrity, centre, and the Dreamers, September 1963 © Mirrorpix
Our nostalgia quiz this week remembers Manchester personalities who took part in the iconic BBC TV program Juke Box Jury in the 1960s.
Every Saturday night, more than 12 million viewers watched host David Jacobs invite a panel of four celebrities to give their verdict on the week’s latest record releases.
Local stars of the show included Freddie Garrity of Freddie and the Dreamers, singer Georgie Fame, Coronation Street actress Amanda Barrie, entertainers Eric Sykes and Bernard Cribbins, and broadcaster Joan Bakewell.
How do you remember the Juke Box Jury and the artists from Manchester who appeared there?
Why not test your knowledge in our quiz and compare your score with your friends
Good luck with the quiz. The answers are at the bottom of the page.
1. Juke Box Jury recorded its largest audience when the Beatles were panelists in December 1963. How many viewers watched the show?
A) 18 million
B) 23 million
C) 28 million
2. Ashton-under-Lyne actress Amanda Barrie made her Juke Box jury debut in 1965 after portraying Cleopatra in the 1964 film, Carry on Cleo.
What role did Barrie play in Coronation Street from 1988 to 2001?
A) Alma Sedgewick
C) Natalie Barnes
3. What TV show replaced Juke Box Jury on Saturday nights in 1967?
B) Departure time
C) Mission Impossible
4. The Wigan-born Georgia Fame singer-songwriter appeared on Juke Box Jury in 1964, the same year he topped the UK charts with What Single?
B) The ballad of Bonnie and Clyde
C) Yeah, yeah
5. Juke Box Jury producers were inundated with 10,000 requests to be in the audience when the Rolling Stones taped the show in July 1964.
What was the group’s first UK number one single, released in June 1964?
A) It’s all over now
B) 19th nervous breakdown
C) Paint it black
6. In what year was Juke Box Jury first broadcast?
7. Crumpsall-born Freddie Garrity, lead singer of Freddie and the Dreamers, first appeared on Juke Box Jury in 1963.
He then sang two numbers in the first episode of What Comedy in 1974?
A) The Actors
B) Wild Jokers
C) The Wheeltappers and Shunters social club?
8. Oldham actor and comedian Bernard Cribbins was a member of the Juke Box Jury in 1966.
What role did he play in Coronation Street in 2003?
A) Percy Sugden
B) Wally Banister
C) Mark Redman
9. Salford actor Albert Finney appeared in Juke Box Jury in 1963, the same year he played the title role in the film Tom Jones.
Which actress played Tom Jones’ lover, Sophie Western?
A) Vanessa Redgrave
B) Elizabeth Taylor
C) Susanna York
10. Wigan-born comedian Ted Ray was also a member of the Juke Box jury.
What was the name of his weekly radio show which ran from 1949 to 1961?
A) Just a minute
B) Ray is a laugh
C) Ray’s half hour
1(B); 2 (A); 3(B); 4(C); 5(A); 6(A); 7(C); 8(B); 9(C); 10 (B)
Get all the latest news, updates, things to do and more from your local InYourArea feed.
Material from Wednesday’s edition of MEN DDiscover more fascinating photos and nostalgic features from Manchestersee the MEN on WednesdaySaturday and Sunday or visit MEN Nostalgia.
If you would like your images of Manchester and the Greater Manchester area to be featured on InYourArea.co.uk head towards our Memory Lane function and share them there, or email us at [email protected]
For more nostalgia articles, follow Emma Boff, InYourArea, on Facebook, here.
Check out more nostalgic photos from areas near you including Bury, Bolton, Ashton-under-Lyne, Bolton, Bramhall, Collyhurst, Tameside, Manchester, Eccles, Partington, Salford, Rochdale, Oldham, Stockport, Trafford, Harpurhey, Wigan , Gorton, Prestwich, Oldham, Wythenshawe, Sale, Ardwick, Hulme, Urmston, Moss Side, Greater Manchester from the huge range of books available on the website here.
* iNostalgia’s latest book – Manchester Then and Now – is on sale now. It is an essential compilation of past and present images presented in the MEN every Sunday.
Simply visit the website here or call the order hotline 01928 503777.