The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts continues to bring world-class artists to Steinmetz Hall with the addition of a new Dance and Music Series, featuring world-renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma with pianist Kathryn Stott , Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, Tango Argentina, Mark Morris Dance Group, Silkroad Ensemble and the return of a second internationally renowned orchestra with the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.
What is happening:
- Opening the dance series in February is the contemporary Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. The pioneering group has performed for over 25 million people and was recently recognized by a US Congressional resolution as an “American Cultural Ambassador to the World”.
- Tango Argentina will follow in March with a performance that offers a highly visual and emotional experience bringing together dynamic choreography with improvised elements performed by acclaimed Argentinian dancers.
- In May, the Mark Morris Dance Group will conclude the dance series with crowd favorites such as Pepperland (a tribute to the Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album) and the Grand Duo, as well as classic works to rediscover for their two-day stay at the arts center.
- The acoustically superb theater will also host three dynamic performances in the musical series in March and April, starting with the Grammy Award winner Silk road set for a program that includes “Phoenix Rising”. Founded in 1998 by world-renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma, Silkroad Ensemble pursues social impact initiatives and educational programs alongside the creation of new music under the direction of Artistic Director Rhiannon Giddens.
- In April, Steinmetz Hall will see its second internationally acclaimed orchestra after its grand opening celebration when it hosts the National Orchestra of Poland, the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra, featuring solo pianist Bruce Liu, current winner of the Fryderyk Chopin International Piano Competition. On the program, Stanisław Moniuszko, Overture to the Opera Paria, Frédéric Chopin, Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor and Johannes Brahms, Symphony No. 1.
- The conclusion of the musical series is a child prodigy and cellist Yo-Yo Ma himself alongside the acclaimed pianist Catherine Stott end of April. The partnership between the two spans decades, taking them to fascinating parts of the world to embark on musical adventures with artists and orchestras from diverse cultures.
A 20% discount is available for guests purchasing two or more shows in each series.
You can buy tickets by visiting www.drphillipscenter.org/tickets.
- Alvin Ailey Dance Theater – Tuesday & Wednesday 22 & 23 February 2022 | Steinmetz Room
- Tango Argentina – Sunday, March 6, 2022 | Steinmetz Hall
- Mark Morris Dance Group – Friday & Saturday 20 & 21 May 2022 | Steinmetz Room
- Silkroad Ensemble: Phoenix Rising – Sunday, March 27, 2022 | Steinmetz Room
- Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra – Saturday April 2, 2022 | Steinmetz Hall
- Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott – Thursday, April 28, 2022 | Steinmetz Room